The Ultimate Guide to Juicing for Weight Loss
Many people are juicing for weight loss these days. However, a lot of people also wonder what does “juicing” mean, and does it really help in losing weight? Read on and learn about the basics of juicing and how your body can benefit from it.
What is Juicing?
Eating fresh vegetables and fruits everyday helps maintain a healthy mind and body. But for many, this isn’t just necessary or practical in spite of wanting badly to take good care of their body and lose weight. The answer to this concern is to turn those veggies and fruits into healthy smoothies, cocktails, and juices that one can drink instead of eating them. This process is also known as juicing.
Juicing is a method of extracting the juice from fresh fruits and vegetables and then, drinking it. This juice is filled with complete nutrients, minerals, vitamins, and enzymes, which can be easily and fully absorbed by the body without the need for much digestive work. These nutrients go straight into our system in a double-quick time, allowing the body to function at its maximum efficiency. Health studies have shown that juicing is healthier than eating whole vegetables and fruits. This is because eating the vegetables and fruits require our body to digest them. On the other hand, juicing allows our digestive system to have a break and allows the body to focus on the healing process. Moreover, fresh juices play a crucial role in building metabolic processes and regenerating and rebuilding healthy tissues in the body.
Juicing is used in various nutritional therapies to help treat people who suffer from nutrient deficiencies, illness, and to lose weight in a safe and healthier way. It is also a great solution for those who live a busy life and do not have the time to eat fresh and whole fruits and vegetables. It has been tested and proven to help improve one’s overall health and well being.
Juicing is done in various methods such as using the hand to manually squeeze the fruit, using a juicer, using a cone-like manual juicer to mash the fruit, using a sophisticated variable-speed, motor-driven juicer, and using an industrial device for a wide scale extraction.
What Is Juicing For Weight Loss?
These days, juicing for weight loss is quickly becoming popular. That’s because it’s easy, quick, and a practical way to get a healthy body, lose extra weight, and stay fit. It may seem so simple that what you drink or eat could have a powerful effect on your health. However, there are more remarkable benefits from consuming fresh juice.
Drinking fresh veggies and fruits aids you to lose your excess pounds primarily by bringing about a huge caloric deficiency. During a juice fast, you normally take in from 500 up to 800 calories daily. The outcome of this diet is caloric scarcity of up to 1,500 calories a day, which links to about three pounds of fat loss weekly. If you choose juicing for weight loss, you will take in vegetable and fruit juice every four hours. This continuous supply of energy will prevent your metabolism from crashing and will make your weight loss efforts successful.
A fresh juice diet also lets your body absorb the nutrients from the vegetables and fruits that you’re taking in. A suitably nourished figure is more probable to let go of its cholesterol and less likely to utilize muscle tissue as energy.
Turning to natural and organic is the perfect way to gain and maintain a disease free lifestyle. So if juicing for weight loss sounds more palatable, convenient, and convincing to you, then prepare yourself to take another step nearer to becoming a happier and healthier you.
Benefits of Juicing for Weight Loss
While consuming vegetables and fruits will not automatically cause you to lose weight, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention says that there may be a connection between vegetable and fruit intake and weight loss. The CDC describes that fresh fruit and vegetable juices have few calories, make you feel full, and help avoid higher calorie choices like chocolates and chips.
The idea of juicing for weight loss is now becoming popular as it provides many advantages. Below are the many benefits of juicing:
• Fresh veggies and fruit based juices are full of minerals and vitamins, making it a perfect replacement to your multivitamins pill.
• It has antioxidants, which are considered to help lower the risk of developing various lifestyle-related diseases such as heart disease and prevent cancer.
• You get all varieties of complex vitamins and carbohydrates in the fresh juice.
• You are able to appreciate a wider choice of vitamin ideas than a meat protein and purely carbohydrate diet.
• Since it’s raw, these drinks have maximum nutritional value unlike the commercial drinks which contain preservatives that may negatively affect your health.
• This fresh juice helps in cleaning up your gut and preventing colon cancer.
• By consuming fresh juice, the dissolved fiber in your bloodstream and intestines may help maintain cholesterol levels.
• There are no pesticides or any other possibly harmful chemicals if you use organic materials in your drink.
• Creating juice from different fruits and vegetables can make it more tasty and palatable.
• This also makes an excellent snack which won’t leave you overstuffed, instead, it can add needed variety into your diet.
• There are a lot of flavorsome and wonderful recipes of fresh veggies and fruit to try, which are now cheaper and better.
• If you don’t have an appetite in the morning, fresh juice can be the perfect breakfast for you.
• If you’re aiming to lower your cholesterol, fresh juice is the best way to do so because it has no added sodium or saturated fats.
• Water in fresh juices keeps you hydrated.
• Juicing your own drinks allows you to select the combinations that you like, and lets you choose when you want to consume your freshly squeezed drinks.
• Unlike the commercial juice which contains preservatives that may seriously affect your health, fresh drinks have ultimate nutritional value.
• Taking fresh juice provides a way to help you overcome alcohol, fat, carbohydrate, and caffeine addictions.
• Juicing fresh vegetables and fruits makes a diet that has high phytonutrients that support your body for a greater balance, achieving your objective of losing weight.
Potential Downsides of Juicing
Juicing for weight loss is without a doubt, the best way to live healthier, longer, and fitter. However, it is not all good news. Though the pros definitely outweigh the cons, you just cannot take full advantage of juicing without knowing its potential downsides. Hence, here are a few of its cons.
• There is a possibility that a person’s blood sugar will spike up when drinking too much juice. This is due to the fact that fruits and vegetables contain natural occurring sugars. Hence, when juicing for weight loss, it is important to do it in moderation. If you have an existing issue with your blood sugar, make sure to consult your doctor before going through the juice diet.
• Though juicing can help you to rapidly lose weight, you will easily regain weight once your body is re-introduce to solid food diet. However, if you will maintain a healthy diet after juicing, you will surely keep a healthy weight.
• People who suffer from heart diseases and diabetes may put their health at risk if they go through juicing. Nevertheless, some doctors recommend juicing to supplement the treatments for such disorders. If you have existing health issues, it is always advisable to consult your physician before going through any weight loss method.
• Juice diets are usually low in calorie. Hence, if juicing is done improperly, there is a tendency that the body will suffer from calorie deficiency, which may lead to various health issues. Thus, it is important to make sure that you get the required complete calorie intake when juicing.
• Juicing to lose weight doesn’t address a lifestyle change for long-term weight loss plans such as engaging in fitness activities or exercises and making healthy food choices. However, you can always do juicing to supplement a healthy lifestyle.
Just like other weight loss programs, juicing comes with pros and cons. It may not be effective for everyone, but it might be effective for you. Nevertheless, with the benefits outweighing the cons, it can be worth a try.
What is needed and how to plan out juicing for weight loss?
Juicing for weight loss needs careful planning if you want to make the most of your weight loss efforts and avoid regaining weight.
If you want to try a juice fast, here are a few basic things that you should remember:
1. Consult your doctor first to check your body condition.
2. Acquire an excellent juicer.
3. Research some juicing recipes from books, internet, or our juicing recipes page.
4. Buy some organic, fresh vegetables and fruits.
5. Buy fresh, purified water and drink 8 glasses a day.
For two up to three days and depending on what your previous eating behaviors were like, you’re required to follow a strict pre-fasting diet. During this period, you have to completely avoid fatty cuts of meat, processed foods and juices, soda and coffee, and non-organic sugars. As much as possible, you should consume natural and organic foods during this pre-fast diet period.
You may take five small snacks or meals a day, each may range from 300 to 400 calories. Lean meats, legumes, nuts, vegetables and fruits are great. This will make your body used to taking natural and healthy foods and prevent you from having detox symptoms like fatigue and headache.
Once you start juicing for weight loss, the most vital things to note are to provide your body a stable supply of energy and make your diet as balanced as possible. For instance, you can try juicing soy beans to achieve your daily protein necessities. If you have an excellent juicer, you can try to juice nuts. These are a great source of healthy fat and protein.
You may try the simple detox juice recipe. Prepare two apples, one stick celery, ½ cucumber, and one small handful of spinach, ice cubes, mixed green juice such as parsley, lettuce or watercress. Juice the cucumber, apples, spinach, and celery. Pour these into the blender, and then, add ice cubes and the mixed green juice. Blend it for about a minute or until it becomes smooth.
If you love fruits you can try juicing one apple and ½ small pineapple. Pour it into the smoothie-maker or blender with ½ medium size banana, 200 grams of natural organic yoghurt or soya yoghurt, and ½ teaspoon of spirulina.
However, if you want a fast weight loss, it is suggested that you set limit on your fruits intake to less than 20% of your entire juice. You are actually losing most of the fiber but squeezing out all of the fructose when juicing fruits. In juice drinks, the fructose becomes concentrated, and you can simply end up taking a lot of calories and sugar. And this is not good if you are aiming to lose extra pounds fast.
To add sweetness in your juice, you may include grapes or add a small amount of stevia powder, which is a safe and excellent organic sweetener with no calories. You can readily drink pure veggie juices, without fruits, when you add stevia powder. You can also add some leafy and dark green vegetables such as spinach, collard greens, and kale in each serving. These veggies have a great concentration of nutrition including vitamins B, C and E, magnesium, iron, potassium, and calcium.
For an absolute juicing experience, here are a few more tips.
• Every time you have fruits and vegetables that you know you won’t be consuming, juice them.
• Drink your juice immediately, less than 30 minutes after you juice it. The fresher the juice is, the healthier it is for you. As quickly as the juice comes out, it will be full of raw vitamins and nutrients. Remember, the juice will begin to get oxidized once it is exposed to air.
• You can make use of the pulp from the fruits and vegetables you juice. There are many recipes that have pulps such as putting them in cookies and muffins.
• A portion of low fat yogurt can make a perfect thick smoothie.
• Immediately rinse the juicer parts after juicing. This will lessen any risk of bacteria or mold growth on the parts.
Other Things to Consider
• When juicing, it is important to have a variety. Instead of drinking the same juice every day, try experimenting on different vegetable and fruit juice combinations. This ensures that your body gets the complete range of needed vitamins and minerals, enzymes, and nutrients.
• When creating the combinations of fruits or vegetable ingredients for juice recipes, it is generally recommended to take in more vegetables than fruits. This is because vegetables are known to have higher levels of nutrients than fruits. Also, it is important to take note that when making fruit juices, retain the skin of the fruit as much as possible as it is where the nutrients are being stored. However, the seeds and pits from fruits like peaches, apricots, and apples must be discarded as they contain cyanide substances which may be harmful to your health.
• Lastly, for those who are overweight due to a disorder known as under-active thyroid, juicing vegetables and fruits like watercress, sprouts, apples, grapes, celery, and carrots are highly recommended.
Juicing for weight loss can be carefully done for two weeks with no break. If you want to have a longer fast diet, or if you have any type of medical condition, consulting your physician even before beginning a juice fasting diet is recommended.